Saturday, May 12, 2012

This Pool is Why I am Sinking

Throwing me into this pool is why I first started sinking.
Feet stuck to the ground don't do well flailing through open waters.
What kind of pool is this anyway?
Fraught with sharks and salted so strongly
that even my emotional cuts feel the sting.
Eventually you get used to the feeling of drowning.
The weight of water against your eyelids
the warmth of liquid in your lungs becomes a
familiar burden.

So I rose to the peak of this pool to take
my first full breath in years.
The surface tension is no match for the
energy of my inner turmoil.
And goddamn it, I rose triumphantly.

But a hand pushed me back down
demanding that I become a mermaid.
This artificial baptism would in no way separate
my humanity from my inner monsters.
This force expected me to perform a miracle
I could never execute because I can't help
my two legs, my lungs, and my lack of gills
to keep me swimming in this
stupid fucking pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment